During this form, Mario can cross fiery surfaces (such as lava) without getting burned, however he sinks underwater and can't jump as high (due to him being heavier) and falls at a faster pace. However, he is immune to all attacks, making him invincible.
- Super Mario 64, as one of the three different 'forms' which he gains from special caps.
- Super Smash Bros., going against him in Classic Mode.
- Super Smash Bros. Melee, transformation happens to Mario when getting a Metal Box item, or when going against him in Classic Mode.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl, transformation happens to Mario when getting a Metal Box item. This is the first time he does not appear as a character in Classic Mode.
- Mario Kart 7, as a playable character.
- Mario Tennis Open, as a playable character, unlocked with QR code.
- Due to Mario's shiny appearance while using a metal box, this powerup is commonly mistaken for Shadow Mario from Super Mario Sunshine.
- Metal Mario is similar to Rock Mario (Super Mario Galaxy 2) because both power ups allow Mario to wear a natural solid elemental suit (Steel and Rock, respectively).